Test automation has transformed significantly over the years. It has helped QA teams reduce the chances of human error to a great extent. There are plenty of tools available for test automation, but identifying the right automation testing tool has always been a priority for an automation testing plan to be a success. Artificial Intelligence, machine learning, and neural networks are the trending topics of discussion in the tech world today. And, AI inevitably makes its place even in the automation testing space. The use of AI testing tools has taken over the burden of handling repetitive tasks, saving hours of work so that the team can utilize its time for performing more complex and critical tasks. It has played a prominent role in catering to the need to develop swiftly and smartly rising. Even though the current practices of continuous testing, DevOps, and Agile have kept the software development process in place, introducing AI has subtly unlocked the true potential of software testing and driven a path to Continuous Test Automation.
What Is AI Automation Testing?
AI, in simple terms, is the ability of a computer program or a computer to think and learn like a human being, ie, the ability of a machine to reason itself — learn, modify data and use it in a beneficial way to handle any future scenarios. It applies reasoning and problem solving to automate the testing process.
Before AI made a place in the testing world, it was just AI. AI automation testing means leveraging artificial intelligence and Machine learning in the existing software automation testing tools to generate improved results and remove any of the common challenges of software automation testing.
Although AI automation testing has helped hasten the product lifecycle and driven up the organization’s revenue, it is still nascent. It needs improvement to be a standalone solution for automation testing needs.
How Does AI Help in Automation Testing?
Artificial intelligence when leveraged in automation testing helps in authorizing, executing, and maintaining automation tests. AI automation testing improves the efficiency of the QA processes. AI generates the relevant data for decision-making, detection, and correction of bugs ahead of time. It helps improve the overall efficiency. It provides transparency and expedites the automation testing process.
Testers usually have to maintain and modify thousands of test cases. AI automation testing tools handle all of this very smoothly by handling repetitive tasks, generating relevant data needed for decision making, and detecting and correcting any early issues on in the development life cycle. AI also helps maintain automation test suites, easing Unit, UI, and API testing. Thus, in a nutshell:
- AI testing tools detect bugs, fix them and correct any errors at early stages. It helps to discover any changes in the applications and accordingly modifies the script using its intelligence, easing the task of maintaining test cases by testers.
- AI automation tools help improve efficiency and transparency in the processes.
- The tools also provide quality testing output with a lot more accuracy and speed.
Advantages of AI in Software Automation Testing
Using AI Automation Testing Tools To Overcome Automation Testing Challenges
Artificial Intelligence has changed the way machines work by broadening the scope of their problem-solving capabilities. Using AI, machines can now learn, adapt, perform, think and decide like a human. Unlike traditional methodologies, AI-enabled automation testing can help solve complex problems in no time and without much intervention. AI has been transformational in improving testing efficiency and overcoming automation testing challenges. Let’s talk about some common test automation challenges:
There are open-source tools and inapt test automation tools that require a tester to have moderate testing skills to create an automation test suite, but not every tester has a background with the required programming skills.
The automation test suite has to be regularly updated with product updates and new features. Test maintenance is inevitable even with an evolution automation testing tool. Re-factoring the test cases is a common UI Automation challenge because once created, the test is stable only for a few days and has to be maintained regularly.
A test automation framework should preferably have this feature. Many test automation tools either do not provide the reporting facility (because most of them are open-source) or provide minimal information and not complete insights. If you want to add additional reporting features, you need to perform custom programming or opt for external plugins.
As the test automation suite grows, the automation framework should support a large number of tests, and provide quick test results, parallelly. Also, prioritizing and sorting tests to run on different devices and configurations is needed for smooth test execution.
Selecting the right AI automation testing tool can tackle the above challenges. Let’s learn more about some of them as we progress.
AI Testing Automation Tools for the Future of Automation Testing
Today, there are so many test automation tools that are AI-enabled. Choosing the right tool that suits the purpose is a crucial job of the QA team to get the additional benefits of this new technology.
What do most of the AI automation testing tools commonly do?
- They perform predictive self-healing, ie, updating the test suites whenever the application evolves.
- Perform Intelligent Bug Hunting, ie, discovering bugs intelligently through an AI-powered testing mechanism that crawls through the entire application and detects issues and fixes them.
- Enable application resilience by predictive auto-scaling and continuous fitness functions
- Most commonly automate the business processes and workflows for performing end-to-end testing and not just test automation.
Here are the most promising AI automation tools to look forward to:
- A trusted AI automation tool for visual UI testing and monitoring.
- It is the only tool driven by Visual Artificial Intelligence (Visual AI) that enables a machine to mimic human eyes and brain to recognize functional and regressions.
- With only a single line of code, the Applitool Eyes analyzes the entire screen of the application.
- It leverages Artificial intelligence and Machine Learning for test maintenance. Its algorithm comparisons recognize whether the changes are meaningful or just bugs.
- It integrates smoothly with your existing tests, thus eliminating the step of writing and learning new tests and scaling up testing with existing ones.
- Testim is an end-to-end AI testing tool that authors automated tests, executes, and maintains them, reducing test creation-execution time by running multiple tests parallelly.
- Its focus is mainly on functional testing and UI testing.
- It overcomes the problems of slow authoring and unstable tests that usually result from frequent changes and releases in the UI.
- Smart Locators detect the changes in the app to run automatic tests.
- It integrates seamlessly with CI/CD tools, provides detailed bug reports, and performs root-cause analysis of the failed tests for quick remedial action.
- It is one of the leading AI testing automation tools developed to create and run tests across CI/CD.
- Mapl’s Google Chrome Extensions help developers create scriptless tests to create/run tests on Firefox.
- It is a cloud-based tool and has self-healing and visual testing features.
- Mabl uses ML algorithms to detect any threats or issues and improves the test execution.
- It is an API and Web Services AI automation tool delivering end-to-end functional API testing, Web UI integration, mobile testing, load testing, performance, and API security testing.
- Its intuitive interface automates API, Load, performance, and security-related criticalities.
- It delivers constant analysis of the changes and their impact, thus simplifying test maintenance tasks.
- Its test data technology provides realistic test data for further modeling, masking, and generating additional data.
- Execution of Multichannel tests can be easily coordinated directly from the browser to allow continuous testing.
- This AI testing tool eases testing efforts by removing test setup, maintenance, and hassles of looking after drivers, servers, etc.
- It is equipped with a built-in Automation assistant, AI self-healing, and adaptive wait features. It has an AI-enabled codeless test recorder that is Selenium API compatible with open-source SDK.
- It also has an add-ons library, unconventional test reporting, dashboards, and integrations to your CI/CD pipelines.
- It is a cloud-based codeless AI testing automation tool. It focuses on automating the Web UI, API, Desktop, and Mobile platforms.
- It has natural English programming, intelligent element explorer, automated test generation, and self-healing features. It integrates well with popular DevOps toolchains to provide an unified view of the complete QA lifecycle.
- It provides Predictive and Path analysis for developing test scenarios, maximizing test coverage model UI and Data flows, and open-source alignment is other distinct features of this tool.
- It belongs to the declarative category of AI testing tools. It is a cloud-based automation testing tool that uses Machine learning and artificial intelligence to create, verify and maintain tests.
- The AI-powered smart agent creates tests quickly and uses natural language processing to automate English-based procedures.
- Its SmartFix feature detects UI changes and test failures with ease.
- Another AI-powered tool for automation testing for regression and continuous testing.
- It uses a machine learning algorithm that identifies web elements correctly even during the app changes.
- It enables testers to visually create automated Selenium-based tests and run these on multiple browsers and platforms.
- Its On-the-Fly mode enables the creation of test models out of the test scenario, making it easier to reuse test steps
- It also has self-healing capabilities.
AI has already entered the software testing landscape long ago. There are too many AI testing tools equipped with innumerable benefits of AI and ML that traditional automation testing did not cover. Nothing much can be predicted beyond what is already known regarding how differently Artificial Intelligence will change the future of Automation testing. The world will have to wait until it stabilizes and provides more mature solutions to the automation testing problems. It can’t replace manual testing but can supplement and accelerate the present automation systems.